Friday, May 28, 2010

Lesson #6: Playing is My Career

I think I've figured out the riddle. Since Uranus in Aries is affecting my 10th house of career and my 5th house of play, that must mean my career is playing! Plus the Sun, natural ruler of the 5th house, in my chart is the ruler of my 2nd house of resources and earned income. It also just happens to be my time lord for this month, and it's currently in my 12th house of arts and mysticism.

So today I'm going to talk about the Sun in tarot-astrology and more about what playing for a living is about. In astrology, the 5th house is ruled by the Sun.

This is the House of creation and recreation. It is about how we express our creativity: art, music, dancing, acting, writing, poems, songs, stories, athletics, craftsmanship, putting our personal style into what we make or do, creating beauty in any material form or in any mental or physical activity, how we appreciate creativity in others, how we enjoy art & music, how we find joy through the perception of beauty in any form. It is also about romance, courtship, love-making, and children, our personal creations, and how we seek recreation: games, sports, pastimes, hobbies, concerts, theatre, gambling, dating, child-like play, and playing with children.

I don't know if it's true of everyone's career, but certainly mine is based on creativity. Work and creativity are intimately tied together. If I'm not creating, I'm not working. But it also needs to be playful. If I don't enjoy what I'm working on, nothing happens. Nothing gets done.

Most importantly, I can't imagine it any other way. I tried it the other way and was miserable. I could rarely get to work on time because it was (almost) the last place I wanted to be.

Now when I wake up in the morning, there is a playful calling, a call to adventure that is enticing me. The sun says, "Come on, get out of bed. You have this glorious day to live. What wonderful things will you do today?"

What I struggle with, though, is the voice in my head that demands productivity. I'm often at war with that part of myself. So I need to see how I can make friends with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment